Building Operator - Vancouver
Work shall include but not necessary be bound by the following:
- Respond to tenant/client requests and emergencies.
- Perform daily rounds and log readings.
- Review and complete daily entries into engineer's log.
- Complete preventive/demand maintenance tasks; input histories if required.
- Start-up/shutdown major building equipment.
- Ensuring maximum energy efficiency, inspect/operate/maintain and repair mechanical/electrical systems and equipment (including boilers, chillers, HVAC equipment, pumps, generators, life safety system, etc.).
- Complete filter changes.
- Perform minor repairs: replace washers/faucets; clear sinks, toilets and drains; clear grease traps/sumps; re-pack valves; replace pumps/motors; reset breakers, etc.
- Complete belt inspection/replacement.
- Maintain/align fan/air handling units.
- Complete general mechanical/maintenance duties.
- Minor patching and painting.
- Troubleshoot/repair building automation system.
- Monitor work of contractors/external service providers to ensure adherence to company/industry standards.
- Participate in review of operating policies/procedures as required.
- Complete maintenance of metal/plastic pipe systems.
- Conduct chemical treatment tests.
- Work in compliance with Occupational Health and Safety Act and other applicable codes.
- Escalate unusual events/occurrences to supervisor.
- Conduct generator tests.
- Air balancing.
- Direct building operation; identify problem areas; develop/initiate corrective action.
- Review reports on problems encountered; provide feedback on action taken.
- Audit work of contractors/external service providers to ensure adherence to company/industry standards.
- Conduct investigations and initiate/direct corrective action.
- Identify/analyze infrastructure systems deficiency; make recommendations for improvements.
- Identify materials/services required for operation of facility.
- Participate in developing operating standards, processes and procedures.
- Provide feedback on proposed renovations re: impact on existing infrastructure systems if required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Pump teardown/minor repairs/alignment.
- Perform general building maintenance/repairs (e.g., lighting, door repairs. etc.) .
- Assist other classifications/trades as required.
- Maintain a clean work environment.
- Ensure working relationships with tenants, contractors and external service providers are constantly upheld; ensure corrective action taken to meet tenant needs.
- Interact with tenants/client to conduct more in-depth investigation into requests.
- Develop working relationships with staff to co-ordinate activities.
- Develop working rapport with suppliers, contractors and external service providers to discuss problems/potential solutions.
- Maintain positive relations with tenants/client through effective communications.
- Monitor, adjust and repair infrastructure systems.
- Utilize industry best practices/procedures to perform duties.
- Investigate problem areas; develop/implement actions plans.
- Utilize standard testing/measuring tools to service/monitor building systems.
- Make basic decisions within established procedures/practices.
- Provide input to operational decisions by identifying tenant/client/facility needs.
- Complete mandatory training programs (annually).
- As directed, create/implement personal development plan (annually) to identify skills required to move to next level.
Hours of Work:
- Day shift; some overtime, possible on call.
- Will be required to carry a mobile device.
- Work requires some exposure to more intense situations when responding to tenant requests.
- Work requires utilizing tools/repairing systems that could cause physical injury if not handled/operated following safety practices/procedures.
- Exposure to elements - majority of work indoors; some exposure to outdoor environment.
- Lifting requirements - maximum 50 lbs.
- Repetitive physical effort - majority of work is non-repetitive.
- Elevated working conditions - use of ladder; scissor lift (training required), etc.
- Confined space may be applicable (training required).
- Secondary school or equivalent
- BES diploma; or Operating Engineer classification; or BC/interprovincial trades certification of qualification an asset.
- 5-10 years in the operation and maintenance of facilities.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English (oral and written).
Interested applicants are encouraged to send in resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include job posting #3048 in the subject line.