Manager, Facilities Management Services (Data Centre) - Toronto, ON
This position is responsible for the delivery of 24/7 data centre operations/maintenance services in a complex, mission-critical environment meeting contractual obligations in a manner consistent with Uptime standards and industry best practices while ensuring a reliable/safe environment. Position draws on “hands-on” technical and management experience re: Uptime sustainability, building operations and maintenance, budget management, people management, contract management, relationship management, etc.
- Oversees day-to-day operations/maintenance services in a complex, mission-critical environment; takes necessary steps to ensure data centre Uptime, reliability and safety of staff.
- Develops/maintains client relations; participates in client meetings re: facility enhancements, capital expenditures, asset plans, expanded FM services, etc.; anticipates short/long-term client needs and develops options.
- Develops/applies systems, processes and procedures to mission-critical maintenance and operations activities to meet client/quality management standards; ensures compliance by staff/external service providers.
- Develops/prepares monthly client reports and comprehensive business plans.
- Monitors/analyzes/reports on facility results relative to deliverables.
- Develops/implements maintenance and operations goals consistent with service level agreement.
- People Management: manages recruitment, mentoring, coaching and professional development of staff; supervises staff; provides work direction/assignment of duties; develops site goals/objectives; facilitates employee goal setting; identifies training/educational requirements; conducts performance reviews; investigates staff performance issues/initiates appropriate action.
- Applies planning/scheduling techniques and risk-mitigation strategies to ensure effective delivery of preventive, predictive and responsive maintenance; ensures appropriate use of CMMS.
- Manages tendering process; negotiates costs/fees; oversees external service providers; monitors contractual agreements for specialized maintenance, purchased services, etc. as required.
- Liaises with stakeholders re: maintenance projects; coordinates activities of staff, consultants and contractors to ensure requirements met and facility impact minimized.
- Participates in development/implementation of business continuity plans in cooperation with client.
- Maintains facility consistent with Uptime standards/industry best practices re: energy conservation, carbon footprint reduction and other relevant environmental standards.
- Provides client support re: infrastructure, technical standards, systems commissioning, contract management and safety/integrity management; as acting member of client organization participates as a subject matter expert within area of expertise.
- Makes decisions utilizing policies/guidelines with some flexibility to depart from standards if minimal risk to client/company; makes complex decisions based on interpretation of policies and previous management precedent.
- Gains competency/technical knowledge through research, training and industry contacts.
- In collaboration with next level of management, defines skill/competency gap and creates/implements personal/career development plans; seeks opportunities for personal growth/development.
- Performs/supports other initiatives/duties as assigned.
- 7-10 years progressive facilities maintenance and operations management experience in complex, mission-critical environment; LEED certification an asset.
- Post-secondary diploma/degree/certification in a relevant field of study (e.g., Certified Engineering Technician/Technologist (CET), Building Environmental Systems (BES), Operating Engineer, etc.); or a combination of education, training and experience.
- Knowledge/understanding of Occupational Health & Safety Act; building/fire/other codes and applicable standards/regulations pertaining to facilities maintenance and operations.
- Proven ability to apply proactive/innovative thinking to complex issues.
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written).
- Good proficiency in Microsoft Office (i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Proven ability to analyze, organize, prioritize and delegate.
- Proven ability to plan, organize, prioritize and implement.